Job Title: Executive Director
The Waldo Board seeks an entrepreneurial leader and community builder to be our next Executive Director.
The right person will help guide the historic Waldo theatre, located in midcoast Maine, as we build a recurring and dedicated audience for our programs. Our mission is to connect and build community by celebrating culture and the arts.
The Waldo is a beautiful 1936 art deco building considered one of the best-designed cinemas of its time in the nation. Later converted to a stage theater, today it remains a signature landmark of Midcoast Maine that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Recently, the Waldo fell dormant, but after a concerted community effort to restore the historic structure and commence programs, the Waldo has been freshly rehabilitated and our doors are open. We are in the process of defining and launching the next version of its energizing role in this community. The Executive Director will fulfill its promise by establishing the financial and organizational foundation required to restore the Waldo itself as a vibrant asset of the community.
As Executive Director of The Waldo, you’ll be part of a growing organization and a close-knit community. You will be supported by a dedicated Board of Directors and will work with community members that have long ties to the theatre as well as newly-engaged volunteers and partners. You will be part of our effort to strike a balance between new and old, and to bring opportunities to our communities that are too often socially and economically isolated. As we grow, you will help us navigate our organization’s development while upholding our commitment to professionalism, sustainability and stewardship. We will operate as a team, sharing responsibility and accountability for developing sustaining resources, managing our growing organization and artistic leadership.
What We Need:
Our new Executive Director will thrive in a dynamic environment. This role combines community engagement, fundraising, organizational operations and development, and program development with artistic vision and direction. We will look to your strengths as we collaborate on detailed, specific plans, but in general, you will work with the Board and Committees to:
● build a fiscally sustainable organization by generating significant revenues while managing expenses
● develop long-term relationships with funders and donors, as well as local and regional partners ● build a distinctive brand that attracts and retains audiences and performers ● lead collaborative efforts to develop high-quality programming for all ages, with a particular focus on educational programs
● articulate and promote The Waldo’s mission in a variety of methods
● manage the operations of the staff, organization and the facility
● oversee the ongoing maintenance of, and improvements to, the facility
● be able and willing to participate in evening and weekend activities
2022_6_28 Waldo Executive Director Job Description
● facilitate the ongoing effort of a number of existing and future committees, such as programming and marketing committees comprised of Board Members and volunteers
You Should Bring:
We seek a highly qualified individual eager to implement ambitious plans as we accomplish great things together. To be successful in this job, you will need to draw on a body of experience and record of accomplishment that includes:
● a collaborative approach
● development skills including successful fundraising
● the ability to cultivate and manage donors, volunteers, audience members, artists and community partnerships while respecting a diverse set of people, needs and interests
● management skills including experience with staff supervision, managing nonprofit budgets and planning processes
● the ability to identify, inspire and collaborate with a variety of talented collaborators necessary to execute successful programs
● enthusiasm for the unique contribution The Waldo can make to broader economic and community development opportunities
● problem solving skills and the ability to adjust and adapt approaches in the face of unforeseen challenges
● strong written and oral communication skills, including business and casual writing and public speaking as you will be the spokesperson for The Waldo
● a good sense of humor
● B.A, M.F.A, or relevant degree and five-year work experience in leadership roles.
What This Job Offers
● Salary range of $60,000 to $65,000, commensurate with experience and skills, with the opportunity for adjustment upon attaining certain goals.
● Healthcare benefits comparable to similar positions
● A chance to make a dramatic impact in a unique role in a wonderful community
How to Apply:
To apply, send a your resume and a letter of interest to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please let us know how your qualifications and experience connect with our mission, how you would organize this position to best match your strengths with our needs, and any questions you might have.
Applications will be accepted through August 1st or until the position is filled. Applications will be acknowledged via email upon receipt.
The Waldo Theatre, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity employer. It does not discriminate on the basis of a person’s race, color, gender, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, religion, creed, age, ancestry or national origin.